Founded in 1985, SelectQuote provides solutions that help consumers protect their most valuable assets: their families, health and property. The company pioneered the model of providing unbiased comparisons from multiple, highly rated insurance companies allowing consumers to choose the policy and terms that best meet their unique needs. Two foundational pillars underpin SelectQuote’s success: a strong force of highly trained and skilled agents, who provide consultative needs analysis for every consumer, and proprietary technology that sources and routes high-quality leads. The company has three core business lines: SelectQuote Senior, SelectQuote Life and SelectQuote Auto and Home. SelectQuote Senior, the largest and fastest-growing business, serves the needs of a demographic that sees 10,000 people turn 65 each day with a range of Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans.
SelectQuote (SQ) Internal Audit is looking for a Senior Auditor to join the team and provide targeted, objective assurance and insight relative to Company governance, risk management and control practices. This position will assist audit management with the development of annual audit plans, reporting to key governance bodies, conducting risk assessment activities, and executing the Sarbanes-Oxley compliance program in addition to developing internal audit scope, performing audit procedures and documenting the results of work performed, including writing detailed audit observations and establishing recommendations based on observations. Position responsibilities also include building highly-effective working relationships with internal clients, acting in an advisory role on internal controls, promoting best practices and effective processes.
Duties and Responsibilities: (major “buckets” listed with average percentage of time spent on each “bucket” over the course of a year)
- Risk based audits – Lead audits designed to assess the business, operating and control risks associated with the internal business processes, systems, and governance structures established throughout the Company. Evaluate results, identify control and operational deficiencies or gaps, and develop recommendations for management. Prepare concise, descriptive audit reports based upon audit results. Prepare audit reports for senior management and the Audit Committee of the Board. (35%)
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance – Identify risks and opportunities associated with specific business processes as related to financial reporting. Assist in the evaluation of the scope of management testing. Acquire in-depth understanding of specific regulatory pronouncements and guidance related to ICFRs and governance issues. (35%)
- Understanding of risk management concepts – Develop core competency in identification and evaluation of risks unique to the Company and industry and current best practices in addressing such risks. (10%)
- Special projects – Plan, lead, and execute the objectives of projects and reviews initiated to address specific management objectives. Identify the need to conduct specific reviews or projects to address known risks, internal control gaps, or operational inefficiencies. (10%)
- Leadership role in improving division efficiency through focus on innovation, process improvements and effective use of technology. (5%)
- Maintain and enhance working relationships throughout the organization by providing clear, concise, accurate and responsive information in a timely manner and fostering an environment of team work and high quality customer service. (5%)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Understand internal control concepts and have experience in applying them to plan, perform, manage and report on the evaluation of various business processes/areas/functions
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Sound understanding of the COSO framework, internal audit standards and risk management concepts
- Proven problem solving and analytical skills
- Effective organization and time management skills to manage multiple projects
- Disciplined work ethic, independently or as part of a team
- Strong oral, presentation and written communication skills
- Effective persuasion techniques to facilitate interfaces with individuals across the organization
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in accounting, finance or business
- Advanced degree OR certification as public accountant, internal auditor or information systems auditor [CPA, CIA, or CISA] is a plus although not required
- Minimum three (3) years of relevant work experience
- Working knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 or experience with internal controls over financial reporting activities strongly preferred
- Financial Services industry experience is a plus although not required
It’s an exciting time to join SelectQuote. We became a publicly traded company in 2020 with the first 100% virtual IPO (non-biotech) in American history. We have also been recognized nationally on the 2021 Top Workplaces USA list and by the Kansas City Business Journal as a 2020 Best Places to Work honoree.
Full-time employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision, voluntary short-term disability, company-paid long term disability, company-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D), 401(k) + company match and 100% vesting after 4 years, discretionary profit sharing, employee stock purchase program (espp), paid time off, floating holidays, paid maternity leave, paid parental bonding leave, tuition reimbursement, jury duty pay, work from home stipend, and other paid leaves vary based on work location.